At Worth Primary School, reading is a top priority and is a key driver for our curriculum. Reading enables knowledge and knowledge is power to learn and grow.
At Worth Primary school we:
- Recognise that being an expert reader is a life skill for every child.
- Believe that every child can learn to read and to love reading – with the right teaching, encouragement and enriched reading environments.
- Place reading, and books, at the heart of our curriculum.
- Invest in staff training and support through Read, Write Inc, The National College and through our academy DEALT, so that all our staff can deliver outstanding provision.
- Build time for children to read independently (D.E.A.R time), for pleasure, within the school day.
- Invest in quality resources so that our children can be enthused and inspired.
- Encourage parental involvement so our school reading culture extends to the home environment (though Sam the Reading Ranger).
- Have developed a clear and progressive whole school strategy for teaching the knowledge and skills of reading and reading for pleasure.
In order to ensure we are teaching reading in its fullest sense we have separated the teaching into three strands:
Fluency, Comprehension and Enjoyment
For more information please click on the document below: